Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Fashions According to Godeys

As I am getting ready to attend Woolaroc's Fall Mountain Man Encampment in Bartlesville, OK I have been doing some research into the 1830s and 1840s.  I would like to share some of my findings over the next couple of weeks.  Some of it I find particularly surprising.

From Godeys Ladies Magazine Jan. 1839


A poor nation that relaxes not from her attitude of defence, is less likely to be attacked, though surrounded by powerful neighbours, than another nation which possesses wealth, commerce, population, and all the sinews of war, in far greater abundance, but unprepared.  For the more sleek the prey, the greater is the temptation; and no wolf will leave a sheep, to dine upon a porcupine.

--From Godeys May 1839--

From Godey's Ladies Magazine Feb 1839

No comments:

Post a Comment

Would love to hear your comments.